Search This Blog

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Lync2010

Been a while since I posted something on my blog. It could be that I was missing the inspiration or lacking interesting stuff to blog about.

Recently I did my first steps in the world of Lync2010. Prepared a server for a fresh install of the lync2010 standard server. read the prerequisites and installed them as required. Everything ran smooth until it was time to publish my Topology. It kept failing with following message "An error occurred: “Microsoft.Rtc.Management.Deployment.DeploymentException” “Cannot determine where to install database files because Windows Management Instrumentation on the database server is unavailable from your computer or user account. To continue, you can resolve this issue, or you can specify where you want to install the files."".

Searching google directed me to a Microsoft article stating that the Windows Firewall is blocking the remote administration ports. Now this could not be the case as the firewall is disabled by policy in my lab environment. As it was already late, I decided to give it a rest until the following morning.

The following morning I tried several other steps, but they kept failing with the same error message. Decided to place my hopes on google again, which led me to the following article: "http://jthys.wordpress.com/2010/12/02/lync-server-2010-topology-deployment-error/"

Eureka, modified my pool name to the host name of the standard server, which enabled me to publish my topology.

Now we are off to installing the First Lync2010 standard server within the pool. Installing the Standard server requires some prerequisites to be installed prior to installing Lync2010. I have taken the liberty to provide the correct command here:
[Code]
servermanagercmd -i web-static-content web-default-doc web-dir-browsing web-http-errors Web-Http-Redirect Web-Asp-Net Web-ISAPI-Ext Web-ISAPI-Filter Web-Http-Logging Web-Request-Monitor Web-Http-Tracing Web-Client-Auth Web-Basic-Auth Web-Windows-Auth Web-Stat-Compression Web-Mgmt-Console Web-Scripting-Tools MSMQ-Directory
[/Code]
The installation required two other options which need to be installed earlier:
In order to run the Lync installation wizzard .net-frameworks is required:
[Code]
Servermanagercmd -i Net-Framework
[/code]
For the Active Directory Forest/domain extension the AD Rsat tools are required:
[Code]
Servermanagercmd -i rsat-adds
[/code]

I found a nice set of articles on installing a Lync2010 lab environment, a big thanks to the author Jeff Schertz.
http://blog.schertz.name/2010/09/lync2010rc-deployment-part1/

No comments:

Post a Comment